Watch out Sony: Archos GamePad tablet packs PlayStation controls
Thought the Sony PS Vita was pretty big for a gaming handheld? Think again: the new Archos GamePad Android tablet, launched today, brings dual thumbstick controls to a seven inch slate at a bargain price. Is this the PlayStation tablet that never was?
The Archos GamePad looks much like any tablet running Android 4.0, but for one crucial difference: on either side you’ll find traditional gamepad controls, including two thumbsticks, a D-Pad and four action buttons – in fact, it looks a lot like Nintendo’s Wii U controller.
Under the hood, it’s packing a 1.5GHz dual-core processor so it can power through even the most taxing Android games. And best of all, Archos says it’s backwards compatible with many games already available on the Google Play store, so unlike a brand new gaming platform, you won’t be bereft of titles to play from the start. That’s thanks to some clever tech which the Archos GamePad boasts which detects on-screen controls, and maps them to the buttons on either side of the tablet.
How much will all this set you back? Not a lot: we’ve confirmed that the Archos GamePad is coming to the UK in late October, priced at around €150 – that’s just £119. Is this the new gaming handheld of choice? Let’s hear your thoughts in the comments.
Check out our video review of the PS Vita now
Remember the Archos GamePad from back in August? Well, th...
The Amazon Kindle Fire HD goes on sale in the UK today, b...
Is this the holy grail of gamepads? The Pro Controller U ...
- Sony PS4: Super powered specs revealed!
- Hackers add keyboard skills to Sony PSP
- Samsung Galaxy S3: Android 4.2 bumper update on the way!
- Is Apple working on a MacBook with an invisible keyboard?
- Sony PS4: Five next-gen features we want to see!
- Grand Theft Auto 5 release date revealed!
- BlackBerry 10: Turbo keyboard smartphone spotted!
- Xbox SmartGlass hits iPhone: Control your Xbox with your phone!
- Microsoft Office for iPhone and Android: Three free alternatives!
- Virgin TV Anywhere: Free video streaming hits iPhone and laptops today!
Jason has been on The Gadget Show since day one. Before he joined us, he could be seen popping up on The Big Breakfast, hosting The Web Review for ...
Pollyanna has previously worked on the online tech show techworld.tv and is a geek's dream woman: gorgeous and obsessed with tech. She's also a bit...
Rachel made her television debut in 2009 when she took over from Carol Vorderman as the numbers expert on Countdown. Rachel studied maths at Oxford...
Jon Bentley returns as The Gadget Show’s chief gadget tester, completing the show’s strongest line up ever.